Tuesday, June 02, 2009

my art space

Well folks, I decided since it's been so long since my lost post I would share why it's taken me so long to unpack. My wife and I recently purchased our first house and so that has taken up all my drawing time. However, I finally have my art room/studio set up so I can start drawing again, and I thought it might be fun (and incredibly self indulgent) to share photos of where I create my stupid doodles and drawings. The first picture above is my framed poster from my favorite movie of all time, Ed Wood. I decided it would make sense to surround it with Batman, Corpse Bride, and Army of Darkness toys. My wife later told me this does not make sense, and she would be right.
Here is an assortment of various horror and cult movie figures, sense a trend yet?

Yes, I am nerdy enough to display all my old Game Boy systems (the best console of all time) with my Super Mario Bros. toy collection (the best video game of all time).



More cult movie stuff. It just doesn't end folks.




Some vintage flea market finds. The Chilly Willy soaky in the background is damn creepy staring out from the darkness.


More from the Mario shelf. On the top are some Dunny's and various other vinyl figures, and in the middle are all my Donatello figures, my favorite Ninja Turtle from childhood.


These have been my most prized possesions since the early 90's, original Ren and Stimpy drawings by Bob Camp who I got to meet when I first started trying to be a cartoonist. He has been a huge influence and inspiration for me ever since.


My framed Joel Hodgson autograph, an original Dave Cooper drawing and some doodles by John K. I have some more original art I want to put up but can't decide where to put it just yet, as you can see wall space is dwindling.


What art room would be complete without a buttload of books? And a My Pet Monster?


My collection of Peanuts toys, another huge influence from childhood.


Lastly, here is my collection of Muppet toys and figures. Words fail me when I try to describe my love for Jim Henson and his brain, so I will let these photos do the talking. More artwork to be posted soon, thanks for indulging me in this useless post!!


12 comments:

Bob Flynn said...

NIIICE! SO many toys. I need to get my turtles back from my parents, though I suppose they are safe with them. Have to say, I love the paint color you used, not to mention that snazzy shelving.

David DeGrand said...

Hey thanks Bob! I figured the paint color is a color only a fellow cartoonist could love as everyone else seems to think it's dreadful. So naturally I love it! How many old turtles toys do you have? The picture above is pretty much all I could salvage from my childhood collection.

Jason Curtis said...

Wow! Great work space David. I guess if you're ever stuck for an idea, all you need to do is spin around in your chair and you're sure to be inspired.

...although I gotta say, I wouldn't want to have to dust that room. Ha!

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Chris Houghton said...

Wow man, what a studio! What a great place to work David. I'm glad you and your toys are all settled in now- that's a good feeling! I have to ask though, since you're so outnumbered by them, do you ever get nervous they'll come alive and turn on you?!

David DeGrand said...

Hey thanks guys!

Jason, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I like to collect stuff that inspires me creatively, so I rarely lack inspiration! You are correct though, dusting can be a nightmare which is why I collect dust also.

Chris, thanks for the comments! I never really thought about them coming to life before, but now that you mention it, that's a really horrifying thought considering some of the toys I have. Thanks for the nightmares! ;)

R.Dress said...

Oh man great set up. You have a built in support system here. Congrats!

Jason Curtis said...

"...I collect dust also."

Oh man, that's funny!

THOTRA said...

Wow...many colors !!

Coop said...

Hi David, I really like your work and hope that this interests you and your readers. Love the toy collection, by the way.

I am attempting to amass a large collection of portraits of Frankenstein's Monster in as many different styles and in as many different media as possible as an ongoing art project. The only stipulation is that the size is 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches (standard artist trading card size) and that each card has name, date, location, title and anything else you care to add on the back.

I welcome cards from both amateur and professional artists.

I will be leaving blank cards with instructions and mailing address in galleries, colleges, art shops, on buses, handing them out in the street and wherever else I can think of.

If you think you can spare the time to produce a little something, please send a portrait to:

A Patchwork Of Flesh
45 Silversea Drive
Westcliff on Sea
Essex
SS0 9XD
United Kingdom

Each card I receive will be uploaded at http://apatchworkofflesh.blogspot.com/ to produce an on-line gallery, I then hope to put on an exhibition of these cards in a gallery.

I would really appreciated if you could link me.

David DeGrand said...

Hey R.Dress, thanks so much! I find that the more I surround myself with stuff that inspires me the more fun it is to create.

Thanks for stopping by Trantow!

Hey Coop, sounds like a really cool project, I would be more than happy to contribute as well as provide a link in a future post, thanks!

Coop said...

Thanks a lot David, I look forward to seeing your take on the monster.

JustMe said...

PURE COLORFUL AWESOMENESS!