Friday, October 26, 2007

Paintin's

For a change of pace from all the sketchbook pages, I thought I would post a few of my finished pieces. I'm desperately trying to get better at painting with acrylics, it's a lot of fun but incredibly frustrating at times. Please feel free to let me know how I'm doing, good or bad!
Most of these paintings are inspired by sketchbook images. I rarely know what in the hell they "mean" until after the piece is done and I stare at it for a while and come up with some sort of "significance". I think this one is about a weird critter coming out of a tree with a slimy critter.
I really like to work with contrasting images so for this painting I painted a bizarre alien type creature from the future next to a vintage cartoon inspired fellow. SEE the contrast?!?
Ever been in a really bad mood and it seems that everyone tries to cheer you up, and you just want to kick them in the appendix?
I'm just really not sure what the hell this is supposed to be, I just went nuts on a canvas one day.
Another piece inspired by Fleischer cartoons. I love how EVERYTHING in those shorts can come to life at any moment, so why not barf?
This painting is me trying to "say something" about how man intrudes on nature. I'm not a huge environmentalist or anything, I just love animals and trees and hate it when they're destroyed to make room for a new Gap or some crap.

8 comments:

JustMe said...

I know what you mean about not wanting to assign some "statement" to your art. Don't do it! Let them all guess. It's fun to read our own messages into your stuff anyway. Nothin' freezes me up more than feeling pressured to inject some overwrought meaning into a drawing. So keep it free...

...and drippy. (I love it when you do the trees...and anything dripping.) I like the black and white treatment with spots of color too.

David DeGrand said...

Thanks man, it's been fun experimenting with the black and white with color characters, I really like the contrast. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff now that you're back!

Unknown said...

WICKED FUN!

Lauren Kate said...

Wow - you have some great stuff here!!
Really well done - so unusual and.. I don't know how to describe it - but I like it :)

kaunchen said...

Great style and I like ur drawings r all Fun~ Fun~ Fun~:)

g. said...

I love your style. The man throwing up is one of my favorites. Colors are great.

David DeGrand said...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys! Truly appreciated!

Kei Phillips said...

these pics look awesome!!! really wicked, ace work